Using the molift belt

Home Forums Equipment Ideas and Challenges Using the molift belt

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jessie Snowdon
    Participant

Hi everyone, I’m sure you are all familiar with the molift (similar to the Romedic Return) by Morton and Perry. I like both pieces of kit for certain situations. However I’ve never managed to use the “molift raiser pro” belt (you tube clip here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLta_j0C_0g#action=share) successfully and I wonder if anyone has? I did see Deborah Harrison use it but also I think she is the extreme end of the scale in terms of competence! My main issue is that you face the patient and “pull” them up. So a) do you feel you have managed it successfully and b) do you feel comfortable then teaching it to others. Thank you! (p.s it looks as I write this that the link isn’t going to work – if not then I’m sure searching Molift raiser pro would bring up something if you’re unsure what I’m talking about!

Hi Jessie.
    Being the Molift rep in central north.. I do this all the time and have got it down to an art! That said it does take some practice. One wants to hook the static side of the strap on quite close to the unit so that by the end of the move there inst heaps of belt run through the sliding sleeve to the other side. That closer hook on the static side keeps you as the helper closer to the whole situation by the end of the move.
    Also it is possible to have the strap without the sliding sleeve which I think is not making the best of it. One really wants to two parts to work together to get it all to run smooth for assisted standing.
    There is a new belt and raiser (the pro) only just on the market. It is featured in the link above that you posted. I don’t think its in CHCH yet…. The belt can make a good difference in terms of the user feeling a bit more secure (it buckles and has a wide non slip fabric) and one wont have to have a separate sleeve and strap as its all intergrated. I think its better. The belt is to guide movement, initiate really and then on the way down to control if things are getting a bit wild in terms of touch down speed.
    I know the CHCH Molift rep Ian would happily show you the how to on the new gear if you wanted to get hands on with it.

Kate Browne
    Participant

Hi Jessie

I haven’t ever used this piece of equipment but had a sinking feeling while watching the Utube video which demonstrates overreaching (forces involving both shoulder and spine) while assisting the patient between sitting and standing.

Perhaps the standing position could be achieved by the worker being alongside the patient as in a standard safe sit to stand transfer.

Kind regards
    Kate

Kate Browne
    Occupational Health Physiotherapist
    Staysafe Handling
    Ph 021 507023

Anne McMahon
    Participant

Hi Jessie, Megan and Kate

I agree the techniques used in this video are unsafe. The carers are using the strap handles to lift and lower the patient. No I would not advocate this technique and no I would definitely not teach it to our staff. But I think this type of equipment is great as long as its used in the right way and with the appropriately assessed patient/client. They are a great way to test and improve sit to stand ability and standing tolerance. They have a small footprint and obviously don’t need to be near a power point, making them easier for clinical and residential spaces to accommodate. But they do not replace the need for a sit to stand and/or full body hoist. If the patient cannot stand themselves onto this equipment then a higher acuity of equipment should be used.

We train staff to use the strap only once the person is standing and to remove the strap before they sit down. We remove the moveable slide before implementation so staff are not tempted to try drag or lift anyone up. I have not seen the technique on the video used anywhere before. I have seen the strap with the slide in use but I think there is a risk that it will be used to lift the person physically. Everyone teaching M&H needs to consider as you say Jessie, A. can you do it safely and B. can you teach it and have confidence that the learner will do it safely. Transfer belts have been contentious for some time, I think for similar reasons. There is a round table discussion article in the international Journal (Int J SPHM. Volume 7, number 3, 116-121) discussing ‘gait belts’ with representatives from NZ, the UK and the US. Just FYI!

Thanks
    Anne

Jessie Snowdon
    Participant

Hi thanks for your responses, confirms what I was thinking. Also agree its a very useful device but at this stage I wouldn’t use or teach the strap part. Ian (Morton and Perry) rep let me have a good play the other day with the new one. I like how it’s lighter in the base than the Return – made it much easier to transport!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.